Wednesday, October 03, 2007

 

I combed the whole of KT city limits looking for places or events that a native or visitor can really find interesting this Ramadan. For example places one can go to have sumptuous meals to break the fast with ie iftar. Or places to go and pass the night playing games or watching some event.

I am sorry to say that there are no special meals in all the restaurants I visited for the Ramadan. They claimed that people do not eat out during Ramadan and this could be true judging by the answers I got from the few people I polled on the issue. A new bride of less than one month found the suggestion of eating out ridiculous by saying "impossicant". She said she preferred cooking at home and claimed that her husband also wanted it that way.

Again there are no places one could go to watch plays or drama, or hang out in a floodlit park. If you want to watch the Ramadan opera I mentioned below you have to squeeze yourself in the crowd and watch it standing.
So what leisure time do we have in this month? None but note that one is fully engaged with live Tafsir in the mosques and in the air waves - radio and television. There is only satellite television to break the monotony for me. Theres MBC channels, Aljazeera, Saudi channels, CCTV, fashion tv and a host of others to while away time.

Comments:
It's a pity. KT was created exactly 20 years ago! Yet, with no sound change to be experienced. I wonder if there's any development so far.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?